Unhealthy Musk Turtles

Dedicated to aquatic turtles, their care and captive breeding.

Unhealthy Musk Turtles

Postby Bigjoe » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:25 pm

I've been asked if I can possibly rehome three Musk Turtles, we went around last night to double check that they where Musk Turtles as I was told they had red markings... :?:
History that I know
Around 3-4 years old
Two females one male
Housed in a fish tank that's not big enough for one..no ventilation , no substrate , no uv whatsoever from day one,water heater present but couldn't take reading , filter system totally inadequate, fed totally on ReptoMin energy every day...
Water quality poor as it seems to be stained by the pellet food that's fed every day
All Turtles seem active and curious ,but I'm very concerned about their reddish marks in their mouths and around their eyes,also all have very orange plastrons.
So in a nut shell...just kept in a fish tank and fed..
Any ideas on possible problems if I take care of them.
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Re: Unhealthy Musk Turtles

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:05 am

I think you are seeing natural coloration there, Joe.

There are reddish hued 'races' of these out there, often from Mississippi. You don't see them often... but I have run into them once or twice. There are also red coloured species and subspecies, including Kinosternon scorpioides cruentatum from Central America so this kind of colour is seen in musk turtles.

As long as you give a very long quarantine, I see no real issues.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bigjoe » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks Andy ,never seen this coloration before plus the way they are kept got me thinking it was some problem..i will try to educate the owners but I know the outcome will be a new home for them.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Good news...i spoke to the owner about taking these on and didn't expect the answer..he'd just gone out and purchased a compleat new set- up for them..new filter system,heater,uv lamp..the whole shooting match..diet will be changed from just pellet to a varied one..looking good for them.
Bigjoe

Postby Clara » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:53 am

Brilliant news!
Well done Joe.

Clara
Clara

Return to The Turtle Pond