After care following egg laying

Please note: This forum cannot diagnose animals or recommend specific treatments. Sick animals MUST be seen by a qualified veterinarian. General questions relating to disease prevention, the early recognition of problems, and recommended veterinarians may be posted here, however.

After care following egg laying

Postby debbie_C » Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 pm

This afternoon my Hermanns tortoise dug a hole and laid 5 eggs (her first clutch i believe). It was so exciting to watch and just amazes me that she automatically knew what to do. So glad I was home to see it. Anyway, she's not been near any male tortoises so I'll just get rid of the eggs.

My question is should I be doing anything special / extra for her since laying? Extra calcium maybe for a few days or weeks? Anything else need doing or looking out for? Also, is there any chance that she didn't lay all the eggs and that there are more to come or that she's holding on to one or two? if so are there any signs to watch for.
Debbie
debbie_C

Re: After care following egg laying

Postby Sandy » Tue May 23, 2017 9:10 pm

debbie_C wrote:This afternoon my Hermanns tortoise dug a hole and laid 5 eggs (her first clutch i believe). It was so exciting to watch and just amazes me that she automatically knew what to do. So glad I was home to see it. Anyway, she's not been near any male tortoises so I'll just get rid of the eggs.

My question is should I be doing anything special / extra for her since laying? Extra calcium maybe for a few days or weeks? Anything else need doing or looking out for? Also, is there any chance that she didn't lay all the eggs and that there are more to come or that she's holding on to one or two? if so are there any signs to watch for.

I always try to put more calcium around (cuttle bone and limestone flour) for egg laying tortoises. As it can deplete their calcium stock.
She might well lay another clutch in just over a month. Some do some dont. One of my female iberas has already layed two clutches so far this year. I do have a male, but I dont incubate eggs any more. So just leave them in the ground.
As for egg laying signs, well my females will pace around the garden edges, knocking pots etc out of their way. They do sniff the ground, and one of mine will lay eggs in my lawn, so she does trial nests trying to find the best place to lay. And they will mount males and other females if they are around:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Re: After care following egg laying

Postby debbie_C » Wed May 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks Sandy. Am going to be watching like a hawk now for further signs.
Debbie
debbie_C

Return to Health and Veterinary Topics